Monday, June 26, 2006

Nightmare for Troy Corser!

He left Misano bruised and without any points
The sixth round of this year's Superbike World Championship will not be remembered with any affection by Troy and his team."
Chasing runaway series leader Bayliss (Ducati), Troy need a pair of strong finishes to keep up the pressure, but instead he left the track bruised and without any points! Two crashes, fortunately without any serious injury, ruined Troy's day and leaves him fourth place in the title race.

In race one, Troy Bayliss stormed though from seventh on the grid to take his eighth win in a row, with James Toseland (Honda) second and Troy's team mate Yukio Kagayama third. Race two was one of the most exciting and action-packed of the season, with thrills galore. Troy led the first seven laps and looked in command, but then fell off at the final chicane when he ran wide trying to avoid some cement dust.

Andrew Pitt (Yamaha) won the race - his first ever victory in World Superbikes - with Alex Barros (Honda) second and Noriyuki Haga (Yamaha) third.

"Well that was a day to forget, for sure! And it probably all stemmed from me having to miss the Brno test recently. Today, in the first race, the bike jumped out of first gear at La Querca corner and I was thrown off the bike. There was no warning, one minute I was in gear and OK and the next minute - bang! I made a good start in race two, but I'm not sure how because I had virtually no feeling what the bike was doing off the line! I managed to get the lead and held it for seven laps I guess. It felt pretty comfortable and I could see that nobody was catching me, so I didn't push hard. I didn't want to screw up the tyres by pushing too hard, too soon.
"

"All seemed OK, but then there were a few niggly gearshifts and I began to wonder if the bike was going to jump out of gear again and that made me a bit nervous exiting the turns. There was cement dust in the final chicane from a crash earlier in the day and unfortunately it was right on my racing line. I had to run wider then I wanted to make sure I avoided it and one lap I ran a bit too wide. I tried to change direction, but the tyre wouldn't grip and bang - down I went again."

"I picked the bike up to get going again, but I could see it was full of stones and gravel, so I knew it was a waste of time. What a day! As I said, at the beginning, the problems we had this weekend would have surfaced at the Brno tests and we would've solved them before we started practice this weekend. But, I wasn't at the tests and the problems happened in a race situation and we lost out. That's how racing is sometimes. Wish me better luck in Brno."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home