Monday, May 15, 2006

First 250cc victory for Barbera

Jorge Lorenzo fourth
Hector Barbera is on a roll.

After taking his first 250 podium in Turkey, he went one better in China and, after starting from pole, clinched his first victory in the 250 class to add to his six in the 125 category.

However, it was not such a good day for FORTUNA APRILIA team-mate Jorge Lorenzo who finished off the podium in fourth after suffering a number of problems.

Barbera battled it out with Andrea Dovizioso for victory after the early fall of Alex de Angelis and Lorenzo's unexpected inability to keep pace at the front. After passing each other a number of times, the race was decided on the final lap. It was the Spaniard who got the best drive on the final long straight to steal an advantage he did not give up and take the chequered flag.

It means he now moves into second in the championship, three points behind the Italian.

Behind them, Jorge Lorenzo had an intense battle with Japanese riders Hiroshi Aoyama and Yuki Takahashi but always looked set to pull away and challenge the front two. It was not to be, however, and he even missed out on the podium altogether, dropping to third in the championship behind both Barbera and Dovizioso.


HECTOR BARBERA, 1st : “I am so happy and want to dedicate this win those that have always supported me, my family and all the team. In two races I have claimed my first 250 podium and now my first win, what more can you ask for?! It was quite an easy race, a straight fight with Andrea, without the stress there was in Turkey when there were five riders battling it out. I was studying his moves and knew I had more speed on the straight and then I held him off. There was a lot of strategy and luckily I was able to get on that top step of the podium. The season is very long but I am only three points off the lead in the championship and the title is in sight for me."

JORGE LORENZO, 4th : “I would prefer not to say anything now. I will study what happened and talk after the race in Le Mans."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home