Sunday, May 07, 2006

Troy does it again!

Mr Superpole pips Bayliss
Troy Corser fully lived up to his reputation as ‘Mr Superpole' at Monza yesterday, pipping his fellow countryman Troy Bayliss (Ducati) at the climax of a dramatic 16-rider shoot-out.
Bayliss had put in a stormer of a lap to knock Alex Barros (Honda) off the top spot and looked set to claim Superpole. Troy started his Superpole lap cautiously and was slower then Bayliss at the first split, but was quicker in the second. There was still a lot of work to do though and it was going to take a superhuman effort in the third and final split if Troy was going to do it. But that's just what he did!

The final section was perfection itself and Troy crossed the line three tenths of a second ahead of his rival (1:46.058). Third was Barros, with Laconi (Kawasaki) fourth – making it four different manufacturers on the front row of the grid.

"We tried a new qualifying tyre in the afternoon free practice and decided to give it a go in Superpole," said Troy Corser. "Going into the first chicane I was a bit careful on the brakes, so I knew that was going to lose some time. But then, I was confident that my tyres would do the job OK, so I put my head down and went for it.
The second split was pretty good, and I don't think I could've done the final split any better - it worked a treat."

"The bike's been pretty good all weekend so far and now we've got two long, hard races where tactics and slipstreaming play an important part. You can never make a break at Monza, so it's all going to come down to the last few laps, but I'm ready for that," concluded Troy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home